Public Health Nurse 2 - CDC Foundation / Oregon Health Authority
The PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE II will be assigned to the Oregon Health Authority in Portland, Oregon. The PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE II provides expert consultation and technical assistance to local health departments, community agencies and organizations, worksites, healthcare and senior care facilities, and other partners with a focus on COVID-19 prevention and response. They provide expertise regarding infection prevention and control practices, occupational health, nursing case management, outbreak response, and preparation and response efforts for highly pathogenic infections (e.g. COVID-19, Ebola, measles) and healthcare-associated infections.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with the nation’s lead agency charged with protecting the public’s health. The CDC Foundation offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits package.
· Provide public health nursing and infection prevention consultation to local health departments, businesses, employers, healthcare providers, and community members on critical public health issues, such as COVID-19
· Interpret state and federal program policies and guidance as they apply to local health departments, businesses, employers, healthcare providers, and community members
· Conduct case and contact investigations to determine exposure risk
· Review surveillance data, other data sources, and reports to identify and respond to public health concerns
· Conduct site visits to homes and businesses, including healthcare facilities, in response to communicable disease concerns
· Conduct site assessments and evaluations of public health issues, including infection control and occupational health, at healthcare and non-health facilities
· Prepare reports and create plans to address identified deficiencies
· Orient, teach, and organize workshops on public health topics for local health departments, businesses, healthcare providers, and community members
· Conduct infection prevention trainings on a variety of infection prevention topics including personal protective equipment, hand hygiene, cleaning and disinfection, and surveillance methods
· Provide clinical and public health expertise on COVID-19 outbreak investigations, especially those associated with healthcare facilities
· Provide nursing case management and assessment
· Participate in regular meetings with state, local, and community partners to facilitate communication and streamline work processes
· Current nursing license in Oregon
· Master’s degree in nursing or public health + 4 years of recent nursing experience, which must include 2 years of nurse supervising or teaching experience
· Bachelor’s degree in nursing + 5 years of recent nursing experience, which must include 2 years of nurse supervising, administrative, or teaching experience.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license.
· Experience with patient interviews, health education, case investigation, and contact tracing for communicable diseases
· Data entry experience for communicable disease control with strong attention to detail
· Experience collecting clinical specimens
· Infection control or occupational health experience; CIC (Certified in Infection Control) certification preferred.
· Awareness of local public health and communicable disease systems and resources helpful but not necessary
· Highly detail oriented, works well within a diverse team, demonstrates a high degree of initiative and flexibility, able to communicate effectively in a positive and professional manner, and able to prioritize activities when under tight deadlines
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills; collegial; energetic; and able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, stakeholders, and partners.