Leadership Scholarships - Undergraduates - UW Mary Gates Endowment for Students
Mary Gates Leadership Scholarships encourage undergraduate students to develop their leadership abilities through practical experience, personal reflection and in community with mentors and peers. In the application process, we ask you to articulate your own understandings of leadership, what you want to learn, and how you think the activity you have chosen will support your learning goals. Additionally, you must identify a mentor to provide you guidance and encouragement throughout your application process and award period.
Mary Gates Leadership Scholarships are two-quarter awards totaling $5,000. The award is paid out in equal installments of $2,500 for each quarter. Generally, the eligible quarters are within the subsequent three quarters (for example, in winter, you would be eligible for an award for spring & summer, spring & autumn, or summer & autumn). The award quarters must correspond with the time period you are involved in your leadership work. This scholarship is open to U.S. citizens, international students, and undocumented students.
Students foster leadership development skills as they pursue a project or activity important to them and their community.
- October 18, 2021
Application Workshop: (RSVP)
- October 11, 2021
- October 13, 2021
- Applicants must be matriculated UW undergraduate students registered full time during the award period and pursuing a bachelor’s degree at the UW Bothell, Seattle or Tacoma campus.
- If you have other scholarships, fellowships, awards or stipends supporting your leadership activity and you are also selected for a Mary Gates Leadership Scholarship, you may not be eligible to receive the full amount of this award. The Mary Gates Endowment scholarship program reserves the right to adjust funding to promote equity among awardees. We may use information provided by the Office of Student Financial Aid/FAFSA to determine award amounts. Each student’s case is dealt with on an individual basis. If you would like to discuss your situation, please contact a Mary Gates Endowment staff member.
- Students may successfully apply for multiple scholarships – and may receive the honor of being named a Mary Gates Scholar in multiple categories – but can receive funding for only one scholarship in any given quarter.
- Eligibility for previous Mary Gates Scholarship recipients:
- Students who have received the same type of Mary Gates scholarship twice are not eligible to apply for a third award of that scholarship type.
- Students are eligible for a total (maximum) of three Research and Leadership Scholarships (for example, if you have previously received two Research Scholarships, you would only be eligible to receive one Leadership Scholarship).
If you receive need-based financial aid, please click here to learn more about how receiving a Mary Gates scholarship may affect your financial aid.How to Apply:
How To Apply
Review Application Instructions to find out what you will need in order to apply.
Identify a mentor who will write you a letter supporting your leadership application. Read more about Finding & Developing a Strong Mentor Relationship
Start your online application by using the Application Login on the bottom panel of the website.