University of Washington School of Public Health
Epidemiology Analyst - Los Angeles County Department of Health
Closing Date: January 19, 2018
Posted: December 19, 2017
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Acute Communicable Disease Control Program (ACDC), Hepatitis, Antimicrobial Resistance, Influenza, Skilled Nursing Facility (HARIS) Unit is conducting a search for a highly motivated and detail oriented epidemiology analyst. The ACDC Program is responsible for infectious disease surveillance and outbreak investigations. The HARIS Unit conducts surveillance for viral hepatitis, waterborne parasitic infections, certain bacterial respiratory diseases, and influenza. The HARIS Unit oversees infectious disease outbreaks identified by surveillance and healthcare-associated infection outbreaks reported by subacute care and skilled nursing facilities.
Essential Job Functions
Assist with using viral hepatitis surveillance data to create registries of persons with chronic hepatitis B and C virus infections. Analyze and prepare reports on routinely collected surveillance data. Design and conduct epidemiologic studies on public health questions of concern. Investigate epidemics or outbreaks of diseases either by field participation or by analysis of pertinent data collected by district personnel, to determine the cause and probable source of such epidemics. Write scientific manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals. Prepares summaries of epidemiologic studies for presentations in community settings or at professional meetings. Assist with coordinating disease prevention and control efforts among internal and external partners.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in Epidemiology or Biostatistics
- Experience in designing SAS reports which display a variety of complex data analysis results.
- Experience in or strong desire to learn complex SAS data processing and optimization skills.
- Experience in building, maintaining and deduplicating large live databases using SAS from raw data.
- Experience in creating maps and other graphical illustrations of disease incidence.
- Experience designing and conducting epidemiologic studies, including data collection, management, and analysis
- Professional publications in field of infectious or chronic disease epidemiology.