University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist I/II - Spokane Regional Health District
Closing Date: March 26, 2018
Posted: February 26, 2018
The EHS 1 position is an entry level position which receives close and detailed supervision.
The EHS 2 position has a considerable level of independence on assigned duties with minimal supervision. Safeguards public health by obtaining compliance with applicable local and state regulations, policies, and procedures through education, cooperation, and enforcement when necessary by performing the following duties: conducts routine and follow-up inspections of retail food service establishments to determine compliance with regulations/procedures; informs/educates appropriate clients/operators of compliance needs; initiates legal action as necessary after consultation with program’s technical advisor and/or program manager; processes and approves permit applications; assists with and/or coordinates the application review and inspection of permitted establishments; conducts plan review and pre-opening inspections; investigates program related complaints/illness outbreaks to determine appropriate course of action; conducts educational meetings for the public (and industry); periodically represents the division at appropriate meetings and/or conferences; provides front counter/phone coverage for program related issues; and maintains HIPAA compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree involving major study in sanitary science, bacteriology, public health, environmental health, or other closely related science.
- The major study must include at least 30 semester or 45 quarter hours in the science category.
- EHS 1-no experience required
- EHS 2 – Requires two year’s EHS 1 experience (or equivalent).
- Ownership or/access to a motor vechile is necessary for this position. A valid motor vehicle operator’s license, and current auto insurance is required to complete essential functions of this position.