University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist - Yakima Health District
Closing Date: February 16, 2018
Posted: January 29, 2018
This is a regular non-exempt full-time position that generally works a Monday-Friday work schedule, an occasional evening, and some weekends.
The Yakima Heath District offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and life insurance (Public Employee Benefits Board); participation in Washington State retirement system (DRS); and a generous annual, holiday, and sick leave package.
**The first ten salary steps are determined based on the employee’s experience, language skills, and length of time with the Yakima Health District. With completion of the 10th salary step, the employee may be eligible for a salary increases if the employee achieves a set of performance goals in accordance with the Pay-For-Performance program.
Purpose of the Position:
Environmental Health Specialist use natural sciences to inspect, monitor, assess, and educate business owners, contractors, and the general public about a variety of public health regulations in place to protect the health of humans and the environment.
This position investigates foodborne, waterborne and vector-borne illnesses; reviews and approves plans for solid waste facilities; schools, food service establishments, drinking and recreational water sources, solid waste and onsite sewage systems; and identifies risks of hazardous materials to the environment and humans.
This position reports to the Environmental Health Director, has been determined to be a non-exempt employee in accordance with FLSA regulations, and is a member of Professional and Technical Employees Local 17 union.Skills/Eligibility:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health, biology, chemistry, or other related physical science (applicant must submit a college issued transcript with their resume and cover letter);
- Experience in a prior Environmental Health position is desired but not required, recent college graduates are encouraged to apply;
- Ability to acquire Registered Sanitarian or Registered Environmental Health Specialist certification within two (2) years of the date of hire;
- Possess the ability to understand and convey to others very complex and scientific terms, regulations, guidelines, and processes;
- All required licenses and certifications must be maintained in active status without suspension or revocation throughout employment;
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Work in a wide range of environments including remote and rural areas, in confined spaces, and maneuver rough terrains;
- Must be able to obtain a valid Washington State driver’s license within 30 days of employment and possess auto insurance, or to be able to demonstrate the ability to travel throughout the county on a daily basis in all weather conditions using personal vehicle;
- Must be able to present complex regulations and guidelines in writing and verbally in a clear and concise manner to a diverse population, some with limited English skills;
- Must be able to work outdoors during extended periods of extreme weather including snow, and extreme cold and hot weather; and
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a thorough background investigation including review of the individual’s criminal history, to pass a pre-employment physical exam, and to perform the essential functions of the job with or without an accommodation.
This position closes February 16, 2018.
Submit resume, cover letter and college transcript to the Yakima Health District at
To learn more about the position
To review the entire job description and learn more about the Yakima Health District www.yakimapublicheatlh.org.
The resume and cover letter should include information about relevant work experience, skills and abilities applicable to the job as advertised and applicant’s interest in environmental health. Include an official college transcript.
Applicant’s needing an accommodation to participate in the job application and/or selection process for employment are to contact Ryan Ibach, Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. to request an accommodation.