University of Washington School of Public Health
HR Business Partner - International Programs - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Closing Date: open until filled
Posted: April 24, 2017
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
Outside of its Seattle headquarters, Fred Hutch currently has growing international research activity in Africa and Asia, including two international sites with significant physical infrastructure and staff in Uganda and in South Africa. Each involves Fred Hutch Human Resources support from Seattle. As a member of the HR team in Seattle, you will liaise with relevant international program team members, both Seattle- and Africa-based, to facilitate HR services. Partnering with other HR teams – including Compensation & Benefits, Payroll, HRIS, Immigration, Employee Relations/Legal, and Employee Services – you will be the principal point of HR contact for the international programs, including for the in-country HR staff. As part of the overall Business Partner team in HR, you also may perform business partner functions outside the international function. Knowledge of and experience working with HR functions generally and within international programs, particularly in low- and middle-income countries, is essential. We are looking for a self-motivated, driven individual who is comfortable working in a global, matrixed, fast-paced environment.
Critical to success is the ability to provide an organized and effective process for Fred Hutch International capabilities needed to achieve results. The Partner must be able to effectively communicate and collaborate with a multi-cultural workforce at all levels.
- Bachelor’s degree, or 8-10 years directly applicable Human Resources experience.
- Experience working with international programs, particularly with staff in low- and middle-income countries, preferably in Africa
- Demonstrated experience in all disciplines of Human Resources, including recruiting, compensation, payroll, benefits, employee relations, labor & employment laws and regulations, immigration, HR operations, personnel management, and organizational development
- Solid understanding of international Human Resources strategies and processes
- Ability to understand and represent international program requirements/needs to internal HR stakeholders
- Ability and enthusiasm to develop innovative solutions to complex problems
- Demonstrated expertise in analytical thinking and problem solving
- Strong collaboration, multi-tasking and organization skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and balance multiple priorities
- Ability and willingness to advise and influence without authority
- Willingness and ability to work non-standard hours, given time zone differences
- Willingness to travel to Uganda, South Africa, and other low- or middle-income countries in sub-Saharan Africa or other regions
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline
- Experience working cross functionally within a research institution
- Experience working in large institutions with headquarters and international satellite offices
- Experience developing and managing competitive local compensation scales and benefits
- Experience providing visa support and relocation packages for both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens
- Understanding of sponsored research requirements and impacts on staffing
- Experience working with ICIMS and PeopleSoft
- Experience with developing and delivering professional development/training programs for colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
- Experience with communication tools such as Skype, Whats App, Viber, and/or WebEx, etc.