University of Washington School of Public Health
Chief Policy Officer - Washington State Health Care Authority
Closing Date: September 22, 2017
Posted: August 22, 2017
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Chief Policy Officer is a member of the Health Care Authority’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT), reporting directly to the Director of the agency.
This position develops and ensures high-fidelity implementation of statewide policies that achieve HCA’s mission and vision, impacting more than 2.2 million Washingtonians covered under Public Employee Benefits program (PEB) and Medicaid. Both programs are diverse and complex with critical statewide impact. These policies establish how providers will deliver service to the 2.2 million Washingtonians and how Medicaid will be administered within Washington State.
The Chief Policy Officer oversees strategy deployment, improved agency operations, and greater internal and external accountability through management of enterprise-wide planning and performance functions. These include change management, organizational development, Results Washington, Results HCA, and continuous improvement processes organization-wide.
This position has delegated authority to fulfill all the duties and responsibilities of the Director regarding Policy, Planning, and Performance.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated executive leadership skills and abilities, especially regarding managerial courage, dealing with ambiguity, strategic agility, and innovation management. The ideal candidate also will have prior experience in health policy at a local, regional, or national level.
Desired personal characteristics include strong communication skills, and the ability to work with diverse stakeholder groups and authorizing environments.
If you pride yourself on leading by influence, and are adept at translating between the conceptual and practical, this opportunity could be for you.Skills/Eligibility:
Additional responsibilities include:
- Developing and managing strategic external relations efforts with key legislative, congressional, community, business, and tribal leaders on issues of significance related to Washington’s health transformation efforts.
- Directing, overseeing, and coordinating significant intra- and inter-agency strategic initiatives defined as part of the Governor’s Healthier Washington vision.
- Directing and coordinating interagency implementation efforts under $65M State Innovation Models testing grant.
- Sponsoring, executing, and has responsibility for the execution of every phase of the state’s $1.5 billion Section 1115 Medicaid Transformation Demonstration. This initiative represents the single greatest health transformation effort the state has ever undertaken, in terms of its scope and finances, and is a vital tool in support of the Governor’s health care agenda.
- Directing and supervising the Analytics, Interoperability, and Measurement (AIM) analyst team in service of agency and Heathier Washington priorities, and in concert with HCA’s decision support function.
- Overseeing Healthier Washington work related to community empowerment and engagement, specifically the creation, designation, and expansion of Accountable Communities of Health.
- Serving as HCA’s chief strategic representative in multiple national forums and serves as lead negotiator with federal agencies for Medicaid strategic initiatives. Also acts as the frequent featured speaker at national conferences concerning health care reform and Medicaid policies.
Master’s degree in Health Policy, Health Administration, Health Planning, Public Health, Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, Political Science or equivalent, or degree in Law. Relevant experience may substitute for education.
At least five years of senior-level management experience, including oversight and supervision of other managers and operations.How to Apply:
Persons interested in this position must submit a cover letter and a current resume. Please submit your application materials online atÂ www.careers.wa.govÂ or email your resume toÂ Sanyu.Tushabe@hca.wa.gov.
If you have questions regarding this announcement, please contactÂ Sanyu Tushabe at 360-725-1180 or at Sanyu.Tushabe@hca.wa.gov.