University of Washington School of Public Health
Environmental Health Officer (EHO) - Department of Homeland Security/US Coast Guard
Closing Date: March 30, 2018
Posted: February 28, 2018
Department: Department of Homeland Security/US Coast Guard Health, Safety and Work-life Service Center, Environmental Health Branch
Position Grade: O-4 billet
Tour Length: 5 years
Travel Required: 25-40%
This position is responsible for the surveillance of work and living environments to protect occupational health, public health, and property. Responsibilities include: evaluate USCG units for conditions or practices which could lead to personal injury, illness or disease, property damage that could adversely affect units’ mission capability or readiness; provide instruction and training on various occupational health and safety topics; perform special studies and prepare reports on findings; and assist in policy development and application of new policy. Some particular areas of focus for the EHO position are health risk assessment, sanitation, water quality, food safety, exposure to physical or chemical hazards, and industrial hygiene.
Reports to the US Coast Guard, Environmental Health Branch Chief in Norfolk, VA.
1. Current Corps officer or boarded candidate with at least two years experience in environmental health and/or industrial hygiene profession.
2. BS or MS/MPH in Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene, or equivalent degree program from an accredited college or university.
3. One (or a combination) of the following certifications is highly desired but not required: Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety Professional, or Registered Environmental Health Specialist.
4. Possess characteristics that reflect highly of military officership, leadership, consensus building, and quality work that exemplify Corps values.
5. Superior oral, written, and computer communication skills.
6. Comprehensive environmental health and industrial hygiene skills to conduct risk assessments of hazardous environments and/or mission operations.
7. Able to deploy on short notice for extended time periods without restrictions.
Key Employment Requirements:
Medically cleared by USCG and Commissioned Corps
Subject to background investigation
Random drug testing
Maintain fitness for dutyHow to Apply:
Who can Apply: Current PHS EHO or PHS-boarded EHO candidates
How to Apply:
- Review the attached position description and contact the POC with questions.
- Submit to CDR Carolyn Oyster via email the following application material:
- A detailed cover letter not exceeding one page (12 pt. font) explaining your interest and how you meet the requirements and qualifications of the position.
- Your CV/Resume
- The contact information for three references who can attest to your skills and abilities.
- Writing sample, on any topic, not exceeding two pages (12 pt. font)
**Current PHS Officers: Submit the EHO category’s Coversheet/CV, most recent PHS Personnel Orders (with PII redacted), and 3 most recent COERs.
**Boarded PHS Applicants: Submit your resume and current application status.
Applications should be submitted to CDR Carolyn Oyster, (Carolyn.J.Oyster@uscg.mil). Deadline is 30 March 2018 COB.
Specific questions about the position should be directed to CDR Harold Hurst, (757-628-4403; Harold.P.Hurst@uscg.mil).