University of Washington School of Public Health
Toxicologist - Cardno ChemRisk
Closing Date: ongoing recruitment
Posted: March 1, 2018
Cardno® ChemRisk, a scientific consulting firm, provides state-of-the-art toxicology, industrial hygiene, epidemiology, and risk assessment services to organizations that confront public health, occupational health, and environmental challenges. We specialize in solving problems of national importance; often related to major regulatory initiatives or mass torts involving occupational exposures.
Our team members have a long-standing reputation for thorough scientific analysis and for sharing results in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. Many of the over 400 papers that we have published are frequently referenced in both litigation and regulatory decision-making. Our mission is to provide creative and scientifically rigorous approaches to answering questions about the human health hazards posed by chemical, biological, pharmaceutical, and radiological agents.
We are seeking applicants with graduate degrees and training in toxicology, as well as candidates for internships of various durations (mostly for those in the process of obtaining a degree). Interns will support and perform similar types of work as full-time staff (to varying degrees), as well as gain valuable insight into the world of scientific consulting. Positions are available in the San Francisco, CA; Orange County, CA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Brooklyn, NY; Pittsburgh, PA; Houston, TX, and Washington, DC offices.
Successful candidates will become part of a team of scientists who attempt to solve problems and answer difficult questions about the possible hazards posed by consumer and industrial products, medical devices, contaminated foods, and contaminated environmental media (e.g., soils, sediments, water and air).
Cardno® ChemRisk offers an exciting, fast-paced work environment with enthusiastic and selfmotivated team members. We rarely hire for “specific job openings” but are seeking exceptional scientists who wish to be exposed to a wide variety of issues and who are comfortable with engaging clients and writing scientific report/manuscripts.
Typical Responsibilities Include:
- Conducting desktop research including literature searches, and critically evaluating and summarizing scientific information and government regulations
- Conducting or assisting with risk assessments
- Performing toxicology study design, management and interpretation
- Evaluating claims raised in various types of toxic tort or personal injury litigation
- Assisting with the production of technical work products, presentations and proposals
- Performing mathematical analyses
- Working independently and as part of a team
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. For more information on Cardno® ChemRisk’s practice areas and team, please visit www.cardnochemrisk.com.
Cardno® ChemRisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Skills/Eligibility:
- BS, MPH or MS in toxicology or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Aptitude for multi-tasking among various projects
- Some research experience is preferred
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Demonstrated passion for toxicology
Desired Qualifications for Full-Time Applicants (but not necessary):
- MS, MPH, PhD in toxicology or related field
- Interest in becoming a board-certified (DABT) toxicologist
- Internship and/or research experience
- Zero to three years of government or industry experience
- Previous contributions to the scientific literature
- Some laboratory research experience
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your office preference(s).
* Please note that selected candidates will be required to pass a drug, background and
reference screening prior to receiving an offer.