University of Washington School of Public Health
Chief Medical Officer - WA State Heath Care Authority
Closing Date: June 26, 2018
Posted: April 26, 2018
Chief Medical Officer
ABOUT THE AGENCY:
The Health Care Authority (HCA) is Washington State’s largest health care purchaser, public or private. HCA provides health care access for more than one-third of the state’s non-elderly population, and is a leader in moving health care forward both in Washington State and nationwide. HCA purchases health care for more than two million Washington residents through its administration of three programs:
Washington Apple Health (Medicaid): Provides comprehensive free or low-cost health care coverage to almost 2 million Washington residents. HCA serves as the federally designated Single State Medicaid Agency.
Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) Program: Provides comprehensive health care coverage, wellness support, and optional benefits to 370,000 public employees.
School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB) Program: Beginning in 2020, will provide benefits for K-12 school employees.
The Ideal Candidate:
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) is the Health Care Authority’s (HCA) senior clinician executive, responsible for the agency’s clinical strategy development, implementation and oversight in support of the HCA’s vision of a healthier Washington, and its mission to provide high quality health care through innovative health policy and purchasing strategies. This position provides an opportunity to maintain partnership, credibility, and influence with our stakeholders at the local, regional and national levels.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a solid clinical background--exceling at a discipline, demonstrated leadership experience, a strong grasp of nationally significant multistate measurements, and knowledge of emerging clinical issues. This role requires an expert collaborator adept at maintaining and fostering relationships with health care systems, health plans, professional organizations, independent funders, other agencies, constituency groups, academic leaders, and contractors, within a dynamic and structured authorizing environment.
If you have leadership experience, are passionate about population health, and developing clinical and purchasing strategies directed at improving access and quality, while at the same time controlling the cost of care, this opportunity may be for you!
This position reports directly to the Director of the Health Care Authority, and oversees the Clinical Quality and Care Transformation (CQCT) division comprised of 100 full time employees with a budget in fiscal year 2018 of approximately $21 million. This position is well supported clinically and operationally by a Deputy CMO, an Associate CMO, a Deputy for Clinical Strategy and Operations, a Chief Dental Officer and additional physicians. The CMO’s principle impact is to advise the director and direct staff on matters related to clinical policy and health system performance directed at creating a single measurable standard of evidence-informed high-quality care, improving access, while controlling the cost, for 2.2 million Washingtonians; Medicaid beneficiaries, PEBB, and SEBB members and $10 billion in state expenditure.
- Provides executive leadership for the Clinical Quality and Care Transformation (CQCT) division.
- Develops innovative purchasing strategies for medical, pharmacy and behavioral health coverage.
- Participates as a member of HCA’s Executive Coordinating Team.
- Chairs the Clinical Quality Council, which is responsible for identifying and incorporating clinical metrics into HCA.
- Ensures that the Health Technology Assessment Program and Prescription Drug Program achieve their legislative intent.
- Briefs the authorizing environment (i.e. the Governor’s office; the Office of Financial Management; and the Legislature) on important clinical topics.
- Develops and maintains critical relationships with clinical leadership in to the external environment.
Education, Experience, and Competencies.
- Medical degree (MD or DO) and licensed to practice medicine in the State of Washington. Licensure must be unrestricted.
- Board certification. (Board certification in primary care specialty preferred.)
- Four to six years high-level administrative experience as a medical officer, preferably in large multi-specialty practice or health system and/or a managed care organization, ideally working with sHow to Apply:
To apply, you may email your resume and cover letter to Sanyu Tushabe via email at Sanyu.Tushabe@hca.wa.gov or apply directly at www.careers.wa.gov.
Washington State is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format, may call the Human Resources Office at 360.725.11180, or via email Sanyu.Tushabe@hca.wa.gov
* Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position. *
**This job posting will remain open until filled. Screening of application materials will be on-going. It is in the applicants’ best interest to submit their application materials as early as possible. The hiring manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time. **