Research Assistant - Global Health Delivery Project at Harvard
The Division of Global Health Equity (DGHE) is a founding partner of the Global Health Delivery Project at Harvard (GHD). GHD works to disseminate better evidence to health care professionals by researching and writing teaching case studies, running courses, and facilitating access to evidence-based clinical resources. Our mission is to create a global network of professionals dedicated to improving the delivery of value-based health care.
The project’s Harvard Business School-style teaching cases educate current and future health care leaders on how programs, governments, and enterprises use value-based principles to determine their strategies and design systems that meet patient and population health needs. Materials are available free of charge and used in over 120 countries.
The Research Assistant will work with staff, faculty, and others to support several teaching cases, potentially including one on community health workers in Native American/American Indian areas and another looking at a supply chain financing mechanism in West Africa. Tasks will include background research, literature reviews, data collection and finding, field research, interview transcription, the creation of supportive visuals for the teaching cases, assisting with case analysis and design, and writing portions of the cases or teaching notes according to GHD’s style guide and case publication standards. The final case studies will be published through Harvard Business Publishing and The Case Centre. With faculty and colleagues, the Research Assistant may support the production of complementary teaching materials, including concept notes, journal articles, working papers, reviews or presentations. The Research Assistant may support other related tasks as requested, including communications and development work.
The Research Assistant will function independently and collaboratively. The position will gain exposure to issues in domestic and global health care delivery and social justice.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will work with staff, faculty and others in the creation of teaching materials and scholarly research on global health delivery.
Responsibilities will include:
- Performing sophisticated research utilizing a world-class library and the Internet
- Transcribing interviews with experts from public, private and multi-lateral organizations in both the US and abroad
- Organizing qualitative and quantitative data
- Collecting and creating case exhibits
- Editing and refining writing and language in accordance with the GHD style guide
- Communicating clearly with GHD team about status of work products and meeting agreed-upon deadlines
- Assisting with other administrative and research tasks related to case development or GHD programming as requested
Required: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred: MPH or other appropriate Master’s degree
Preferred: Experience in journalism, understanding of global health issues and health care, French language
SKILLS/ ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Outstanding academic record
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; must be able to work collaboratively with colleagues who are not co-located and to interview senior health officials
- Ability to receive and implement feedback
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to work independently
EEO Statement: Brigham and Women’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Primary location: MA-Boston-BWH Longwood Medical Area
Work locations: BWH Longwood Medical Area, 75 Francis Street, Boston 02115
Job: Research - Other
Organization: Brigham & Women’s Hospital(BWH)
Standard Hours: 40
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Recruiting Department: BWH Department Of Medicine