Dairy Nutrient Management Inspector (Environmental Specialist 3) - State of Washington
- Use knowledge of the Dairy Nutrient Management Program to conduct routine, follow up, and specialized inspections and investigations of dairy and permitted CAFO facilities to ensure compliance with the Water Pollution Control Act 90.48 RCW and the Dairy Nutrient Management Act 90.64 RCW.
- Provide regulatory technical assistance and outreach to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Provide information to dairy operators on regulatory requirements, sources of technical and financial assistance, and best management practices that will help them be successful in protecting water quality.
- Initiate investigations and recommend enforcement based on observations or complaints.
- Conduct routinely scheduled dairy inspections, investigations and follow-ups.
- Interact with dairies, local government and state government stakeholders to address water quality issues.
We are looking for a highly functioning professional who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree involving major study in environmental, physical, or one of the natural resource sciences, environmental planning or other allied field and two years of professional level experience in environmental analysis, planning, or regulation, or;
- Master’s degree in one of the above fields and one year of professional level experience as detailed above.
- Ability to understand and interpret applicable state, federal and local environmental regulations and policies.
- Ability to apply Dairy Nutrient Management Act requirements to facilities, and be able to identify and document water quality violations.
- Public speaking and writing skills necessary to represent the program or agency on complex or controversial issues.
- Experience in negotiating and resolving conflict.
- Ability to walk, climb and negotiate rough, sloped, brushy and slippery terrain collecting water samples or during inspections and investigations.
The following knowledge and experience is preferred, but not required for this position:
- Technical expertise in water quality, agronomy, or agricultural best practices.
- Knowledge of water sampling methods, research or experience with water quality compliance investigations.
- Computer skills to report and track inspection, investigation and enforcement outcomes.
- Experience using ESRI’s, ArcGIS Online or other GIS Software.
How do I apply?
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- Letter of interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume detailing experience and education
- Three professional references, including title, email and current phone number.
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required.
Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate ’how’.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.