Internship - Writer/Coordinator Intern (Summer Session) - Acumen, LLC
2019 Summer Internship Application Timeline:
The internship application review period will start in October 2018. Phone interviews will begin in November 2018 and continue through January 2019. We will start conducting in-person interviews in January. Internships will start in June and end in August and September. Please note this timeline is tentative and is subject to change. The internship program open to juniors and 1st year Masters students.
Acumen, LLC / The SPHERE Institute provide government agencies with high-quality, impartial research to inform decision-making related to health care policy. We help make sure policymakers, health care providers, and the public have the best available evidence upon which to base their choices.
We leverage our unparalleled data access to generate analyses for a wide range of partners involved in the health care system. We work closely with our clients to understand their objectives and figure out how to turn data into actionable information for them. For example, our results are used by:
- the Department of Justice (DOJ) to pursue investigations of fraud, waste, and abuse in the Medicare system
- the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to monitor and assess the safety of drugs after they have been released onto the market
- the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) to help local public health authorities prepare for and respond to emergency situations like hurricanes and floods
- the Center for Medicare (CM) to predict and quantify the effects of payment policy changes for health care services
At its core, our research offers an opportunity to use data to solve problems that matter.
As a Writer/Coordinator intern, you serve as a bridge between the data and the broader policy environment. Interns in this role bring in knowledge to guide the analysis (e.g., through a review of the policy literature) and help translate the results into a form that can be used by policymakers (e.g., through a report or presentation). This internship is a great opportunity for students interested in supporting fact-based decision-making in the national policy arena.
Researching and writing will be major components of your day-to-day responsibilities, but they are only part of a broader set of skills you will learn and employ at Acumen, LLC / The SPHERE Institute. Writer/Coordinator interns are integrated into a project team and learn about all facets of the research process:
- Data management techniques for working with large amounts of data
- Data analysis workflow in a professional setting
- Methods for researching policy context
- Application of research methods to answer specific policy questions
- Verification and validation of results
- Presentation of methodology and results for non-technical audiences
- Client and project management under tight timelines
We expect the role of the Writer/Coordinator intern to closely mirror that of a full-time analyst, meaning you can expect to gain professional experience performing the following responsibilities:
- Research and interpret policy
- Perform literature reviews
- Support data analysis and design of study specifications
- Prepare reports, memos, and presentations to summarize results
- Communicate research findings to a wide range of audiences
- Coordinate project activities and communications
This position is for a paid summer internship. In addition to developing skills for policy analysis and gaining exposure to client projects, you will receive formal training in professional writing and hands-on mentoring from experienced analysts. The internship program also fosters a supportive team environment and hosts events throughout the summer for interns and their team members.
- Required Skills
We are looking for candidates who best exemplify the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (in progress) in a quantitative, public policy, or related field, or equivalent relevant experience
- Strong analytical perspective and desire to work with data
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Good organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Familiar with one or more of the following technical competencies: policy writing, research methods, or project management
- Able to demonstrate initiative, critical thinking, and problem-solving
- Able to work in a team-oriented environment
- Able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated aptitude and enthusiasm for learning
- Demonstrated interest in public policy
Candidates will be selected based on their qualifications and matched to a specific project based on their skills and interests.
Any application without a cover letter will not be considered. Transcripts and writing samples are not required; however, they are highly preferred and may be requested. We are excited to review your application and look forward to seeing how you can contribute to our mission.
- Job Location
- Burlingame, California, United States
- Position Type