Data Extraction Analyst - IHME
- Become familiar with substantive areas of expertise to understand the dimensions and uses of health data and the analytic underpinnings of different research streams.
- Work directly with researchers to trace back the source of data used in models and results, understand the context of the data, and ensure that they are relevant to the analyses themselves.
- Work directly with researchers to explain and modify databases and routine analytic processes to best serve the needs of evolving projects.
Data intake management, analytic processes, and quality assessment
- Extract, format, and transform data from multiple sources according to set protocols in consultation with researchers to best meet their needs. Sources include literature, surveys, censuses, administrative records, vital registration systems, and disease registries, among others.
- Develop and use protocols to identify problems with datasets and routine extraction processes, rectify issues, and systematize processes for future work.
- Maintain, update, and interact with databases containing health data from multiple sources.
- Perform quality assurance and routine diagnostics on data and databases.
- Assess and contribute to decision making about the definitions of fields for extraction and the organization and storage of input data.
- Innovate and streamline ways to bring together data, analytic engines, and data visualizations in one seamless computational process. Solve problems that allow for valuable comparisons between highly different quantitative data sets.
- Archive, catalog, and annotate datasets according to Institute standards to build a common library of materials for use by a wide set of researchers.
- Document extraction processes in order to ensure consistency in extraction across research teams.
- Explore methods for improving extraction processes and implement them when possible in order to save time or simplify the extraction process and/or improve the quality of extractions.
Publications, presentations, and data requests
- Create text, tables, figures, and charts for presentations and publications.
- Provide referencing and other support for publications and presentations.
- Execute queries on databases to respond to the needs of senior researchers and external requests from collaborators, media, policymakers, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Communicate clearly and effectively while contributing as a member of both the Institute.
- Work closely with other team members to assist with relevant tasks, facilitate learning new skills, and to help resolve emerging problems on different projects.
- Attend relevant meetings, adhere to deadlines, and participate as a vital member to collectively advance team-level objectives.
- Serve as a resource to others in explaining approaches to data management and extraction.
- Participate in overall community of the Institute, carrying out duties as may be required for team members.
Bachelor’s degree in sciences, global health, public health or related field plus two years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have demonstrated competence with analytic tasks and ability to participate productively in interdisciplinary research teams.
- Strong quantitative aptitude, desire to learn new skills, and ability to interpret complex analytic information.
- Strong sense of focus and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated familiarity and ability to agilely assess, transform, and work with quantitative data from a range of sources.
- Ability to learn new information quickly and to apply analytic skills to better understand complex information in a systematic way.
- Interest in global health research.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative, entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong communication skills necessary to discuss complex databases and computation tasks.
- Experience analyzing and/or manipulating spatial data
- Experience of working with databases
- Experience in mapping methodologies and Geographical Information Systems
- Coding experience, including but not limited to, use of R, Python or Stata