Postdoctoral Fellow - Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Department of Epidemiology.
Location: Tulane University | New Orleans, LA
Start Date: September 2020
A two-year postdoctoral fellow position is available at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Department of Epidemiology. This position is with the American Heart Association (AHA)/Gates Ventures Dementia Technology Center, This center is part of the American Heart Association Strategically Focused Research Network for Health Technologies and Innovation and is centered around the theme of developing an “Integrated Digital Technology Platform for Optimization of Precision Brain Health.” The successful candidate will be supervised by Dr. Lydia Bazzano, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Epidemiology and Director of The Center for Lifespan Epidemiology Research. The project includes but is not limited to, working with participants, data and specimens from the Bogalusa Heart Study, a unique lifespan study which enrolled black and white children in the school district of Bogalusa, Louisiana beginning in 1973. These participants have been followed for cardiovascular health indicators for >45 years, from childhood (average age at first exam 9 years old) to midlife. Current studies examine the relationship between cardiovascular health and its disparities in midlife to the development of late-life cognitive (Alzheimer’s and related dementia) and physical decline.
We seek a highly motivated, proactive, and collaborative individual. This job involves designing and conducting clinical research projects, mentoring graduate and undergraduate students, presenting at national/international conferences, and writing manuscripts. Specifically, the successful candidate will be expected to analyze data, draft manuscripts, and publish peer-reviewed journals. He/she will also participate in a collaborative training program supported by the American Heart Association and in collaboration with the Boston University-based collaborators. The PI will closely work with the successful candidate in all aspects of the research, and the candidate will be encouraged to apply for an independent postdoctoral fellowship, transitional career award, and/or mentored career development awards within two years.
Additional specific responsibilities:
● Assist in the development and refinement of study procedures
● Help collect digital phenotypic data through a combination of in-clinic and remote monitoring devices and smartphone applications.
● Collate, manage and analyze data associated with vascular health and cognitive decline in aging
● Search the scientific literature and design analyses appropriately
● Conduct statistical analysis ensuring all assumptions are met
● Prepare data summaries in forms of reports and presentations
● Draft scientific abstracts and manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals
●Take part in general project management.
Required knowledge, skills, abilities/competencies typically needed to perform this job successfully:
• Solid analytical skills and attention to detail
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task, and prioritize work assignments
• Motivation to develop an independent research project, in addition to the assigned projects
• Documented excellent skills for experimental design, data analysis, and manuscript writing
• Ability to work independently and effectively collaborate with other staff in a multidisciplinary environment and with collaborating institutions
• Ph.D., MD, DO, DVM, or equivalent doctoral degree, with a strong background in epidemiology, psychology, neuroscience, and data analysis.
• Research experience in population data analysis and statistical modeling.
• Authorization to work in the United States; no work-visa sponsorships available
Candidates should provide the following materials for submission:
• Cover Letter
• Contact References
Please send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected candidates must complete and pass a background check and an occupational health screening as a condition of employment. For identified jobs, drug screening will also be required. The background check, required occupational health screening, and any required drug screening will be conducted after a conditional employment offer has been extended.
Tulane University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to excellence through diversity. Tulane University will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.