Postdoctoral Fellow In Maternal And Child Health Epidemiology - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
The HaSET (“happiness” in Amharic”) Maternal and Child Health Research Program at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health and Boston Children’s Hospital invites applications for a Research Associate. Our program works closely with partners in Ethiopia and Ethiopia’s Federal Ministry of Health to generate evidence to improve maternal and child health programs and policies. We provide technical capacity building in program implementation, data analysis, and use of evidence through direct collaborative work and workshops.
Research will be conducted jointly by the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston Children’s Hospital, and several Ethiopian institutions. The Postdoctoral Researcher will have opportunities to work on large-scale datasets, including cohort and surveillance data. We are working on three large projects in Ethiopia – MCH morbidity and mortality surveillance, infectious disease surveillance, and antenatal and postnatal care interventions. Under the mentorship of Professor Grace Chan, the successful candidate will develop and extend skills in study implementation and supervision, project research design, protocol development, data quality monitoring, data management, quantitative data analysis, and collaborate on research papers. The successful candidate will also join the HaSET fellowship program, which offers teaching opportunities and partnerships with Ethiopian postdoctoral fellows. The candidate will work closely with the growing Boston and Ethiopia-based research teams comprising program managers, data analysts, field implementers, data system developers, trainees and faculty on the HaSET team.Skills/Eligibility:
Doctoral qualification in epidemiology, statistics, public health, or a related field with 2+ years research experience. The ideal candidate will have experience conducting research in global health, particularly in low-and-middle income countries. Desired skills include:
● Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
● Knowledge of study design, sampling approaches and sample size estimation, descriptive and advanced statistical methods such as longitudinal data analysis, causal inference methods, complex survey analysis
● Experience cleaning and managing large complex datasets
● Experience with scoping and systematic literature reviews (and meta-analysis).
● Knowledge of STATA, R, and data systems (e.g., web-based electronic data capture system such as REDCAP or ODK).
● Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team with collaborators, stakeholders, and research staff.
● Research experience in global maternal and child health, particularly in East Africa, is an asset.
The position is based in Boston with frequent travel to Ethiopia. Commitment is for two years with the potential for renewal.
How to Apply:
Contact Jenna Daniel (HaSET Program Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.