Research Associate - National Safety Council
The Research Associate will be responsible for developing research strategies and methods alongside Work to Zero staff, writing research reports and white papers, developing presentation material related to the research, and engaging with Work to Zero stakeholders. The Research Associate position requires skills in applied research methods, program evaluation, quantitative and qualitative analytics, and data analysis and management skills.
Identifying and Reviewing Research-related Information (25%)
- Uses various primary and secondary sources of information (e.g. library resources, online library databases, search engines, databases) to acquire subject knowledge and to gather scientific literature and data.
- Creates lists of published literature, literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, etc. Identifies, analyzes, synthesizes, and establishes relationship among research topics.
- Uses various presentation formats to share research information with internal and external audiences, including NSC staff, partners, volunteers, Advisory Council members, and EHS professionals.
Performing data analysis (10%)
- Performs data transfer, storage, cleanup, coding, validation, and other data management functions.
- Applies statistical techniques to conduct analysis of quantitative data.
- Performs analysis of qualitative data.
Presenting, interpreting and disseminating research findings (25%)
- Writes, rewrites and/or edits written materials summarizing data collection methods and research findings.
- Uses various software packages to create charts, graphs, tables, and graphics to present research data and findings.
- Provides input to senior staff to plan follow-up research activities.
- Perform activities involved with preparing project documentation (e.g., progress reports, draft reports, final reports).
- Participates in cross-functional teams to present research and program evaluation information. Works directly with Marketing to design and publish research white papers, posters, and other material outlining research findings.
Developing data collection tools (10%)
- Develops various data collection tools such as survey questionnaires, interview guides, focus group moderator guides.
- Conducts interviews, administers surveys, and uses various research methods to gather information on EHS technology practices.
- Applies research techniques to validate and pilot data collection tools.
- Uses survey development software packages to create online data collection instruments.
Research Planning (15%)
- Works alongside Work to Zero staff and Advisory Council for recommendations/directives on research projects and identifies opportunities for future research.
- Liaises with external research partners to co-develop research projects to advance the state of EHS technology knowledge.
- Researches, drafts, and edits research plans and project proposals for internal and external audiences
Project Management (10%)
- Builds relationships and manages projects across the organization and among program stakeholders
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and utilize resources to complete projects that support Work to Zero
- Assists in the planning, tracking, and execution of various meetings and conferences including Work to Zero Summit, Advisory Council meetings, NSC Congress & Expo and regional events.
- Effectively communicate important information to stakeholders through both formal or informal settings
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree, Ph.D. preferred in research, Public Health, Sociology, I/O Psychology, Environmental Health & Safety, or similar field
- Minimum of 3 years:
- Conducting searches and analysis of published scientific literature, using online tools and in-print materials to identify sources of scientific information
- Experience with experimental and quasi-experimental research designs particularly in the field of injury prevention
- Experience conducting analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, developing survey questionnaires and other data collection tools, using statistical software packages for data management and analysis
- Grant/proposal writing
- Experience presenting scientific information to professional and general audiences