Research Scholarships - Undergraduates - UW Mary Gates Endowment for Students
Autumn quarter scholarship applications are now open, please share this information with your student networks! The Mary Gates Endowment for Students scholarships are open to all UW undergraduate students, including all majors, and residency statuses (international students, and undocumented students are eligible to apply). Please visit our website for more information: https://expd.uw.edu/mge/
Mary Gates scholarships provide $5,000 ($2,500 per quarter for two quarters) for students to pursue leadership or research activities. These scholarships benefit students in the current academic year, and connect students with a community of scholars and mentors.
Students engage in a research project to discover, articulate, and contribute their talents and ideas with the guidance of a faculty mentor.
- October 25, 2021
Application Workshop: (RSVP)
- October 18, 2021
- October 20, 2021
- Applicants must be matriculated UW undergraduate students registered full time (at least 12 credits during the academic year; only one credit is required in Summer) during the award period, pursuing a bachelor’s degree at the UW Bothell, Seattle or Tacoma campus. This scholarship is open to U.S. citizens, international students, and undocumented students.
- Applicants do not need to be already engaged in research with faculty to be eligible to apply. Students in the planning stages of their research who effectively articulate the plan and the direction of their project will be strong candidates.
- Once awarded, recipients must be actively engaged in their research and remain full-time undergraduate students during their award period (except summer quarter—students need only to be enrolled for one credit to receive funds).
- If you have other scholarships, fellowships, awards or stipends supporting your research project and you are also selected for a Mary Gates Research Scholarship, you may not be eligible to receive the full amount of this award. The Mary Gates Endowment scholarship program reserves the right to adjust funding to promote equity among awardees. We may use information provided by the Office of Student Financial Aid/FAFSA to determine award amounts. Each student’s case is dealt with on an individual basis. If you would like to discuss your situation, please contact a Mary Gates Endowment staff member.
- A student may receive a maximum of one Mary Gates scholarship at a time. Students may successfully apply for multiple scholarships – and may receive the honor of being named a Mary Gates Scholar in multiple categories – but can receive funding for only one scholarship in any given quarter.
- Eligibility for previous Mary Gates Scholarship recipients:
- Previous Mary Gates Research Scholarship recipients are eligible to apply for a second award; however, reviewers will evaluate these applications using additional criteria.
- Students who have received the same type of Mary Gates scholarship twice are not eligible to apply for a third award of that scholarship type.
- Students are eligible for a total (maximum) of three Research and Leadership Scholarships (for example, if you have previously received two Research Scholarships, you would only be eligible to receive one Leadership Scholarship).
If you receive need-based financial aid, learn more about how receiving a Mary Gates scholarship may affect your financial aid package.How to Apply:
We offer weekly information sessions for students to learn more about the scholarships offered through Mary Gates Endowment. RSVP for a time that works best for you: https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/1092
Schedule advising appointments for assistance with components of the scholarship application or general questions about the Mary Gates Endowment. Please visit our advising site: https://expd.uw.edu/mge/advising/
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.