Academic Services Director - Public Health-Global Health major - UW School of Public Health
The School of Public Health has an outstanding opportunity for a full-time Academic Services Director. This position provides leadership in the overall direction and management of the Public Health-Global Health major. Under the direct supervision of the Public Health-Global Health Major faculty Program Director, the Academic Services Director establishes and maintains academic program operations which include academic & student services, admission, curriculum, enrollment management, and collaborate and implement equity, justice, and anti-racism across all activities of the major. The Academic Services Director for the Public Health-Global Health Major dual reports to the Director of the Public Health-Global Health Major and the Assistant Dean for Students in the Office of the Dean.
Student Services and Development
- Identify and implement procedures to maximize the efficiency and quality of advising services for prospective and current students.
- Lead resolution of problems and issues affecting the students and direct measures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency.
- Support students and staff to uphold equity and inclusion best practices across the major.
- Supervise the evaluation and approval of coursework completed at other institutions.
- Grant exceptions to undergraduate requirements, consistent with University and program policies.
- Ensure conformity to program, institutional, and School policies and regulations.
- Provide pertinent information to director and faculty committees in selecting students for awards and honors.
- Assist in building community for students in major, School, and University by working collaboratively on student programming and special events.
- Serve as liaison with other majors, interdisciplinary programs, and University offices.
- Assist with the development of short- and long-term goals.
- Develop objectives and activities based on program goals.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate the student, academic, and operations staff to support the effective delivery and positive experience of the students in the Major.
- Oversee and participate in professional development for program staff .
- Work closely with each staff member and team to ensure positive movement towards program goals.
Admissions & Enrollment Management
- In conjunction with the Program Director and faculty, establish admission policies and procedures.
- Lead holistic review of admission applications and assist Program Director with admission decisions.
- Establish enrollment goals and monitor admission, enrollment, and graduation.
- Act as liaison with IT for creation and maintenance of applications.
- Monitor student progress as it pertains to the PH-GH Major Continuation policy and University policy, especially in the case of at-promise and on-probation students.
- Maintain and implement program policies and procedures.
- Act as liaison between faculty instructors and program staff.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) and 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in university student services.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving and administrative skills.
- Previous experience working with curricula and/or students at a college-level academic program or a combination of advising and higher-education training experience.
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and basic proficiency in the use of Internet technologies and database systems.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Familiarity with UW administrative policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with UW Student Data Base.
- Knowledge of UW curricular requirements.
- Supervisory experience.
How to Apply:
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
As your Cover Letter, please submit a response, no more than two (2) pages to the following prompt: Using the UW Diversity Blueprint 2017-2021 goal #2: to attract, retain and graduate a diverse and excellent student body, the UWSPH Strategic Plan Education for Leadership and Transformation core area outcome #1: ... SPH will offer consistent academic, professional, and personal support across all degree programs, and the ASD position description as guiding documents, please:
• Provide a brief description of how your personal and professional experiences and education will allow you to successfully serve the students, faculty and staff of the PH-GH major, and
• Propose the priorities and action steps within your first year as the Academic Services Director to align the work of the ASD to the goals in the diversity blueprint and the strategic plan.