Peer Writing Tutor - University of Washington - School of Public Health Office of the Dean
Position Title: Peer Writing Tutor
Hours per week: Estimated 10-15
Start Date: September 16, 2023
End Date: December 15, 2023
Application Deadline: reviewed on a rolling basis
Department Description: The School of Public Health Office of the Dean is offering peer tutoring within the school to support graduate students in writing and quantitative methods.
Position Summary: The School of Public Health is seeking four tutors for the autumn quarter; two writing tutors and two quantitative methods tutors. Each position is estimated to be 10-15 hours per week during the 2023 autumn quarter. These tutors will support graduate students in the School of Public Health and will hold drop-in office hours as well as scheduled appointments.
Writing Tutor Description: Tutors support writers’ ongoing writing and research development using a non-directive, conversational tutoring approach. We seek candidates who have strong writing skills and those who demonstrate reflection, metacognition, and empathetic listening. Tutoring is an intellectually and emotionally demanding position that requires high levels of initiative, responsibility, and critical thinking.Skills/Eligibility:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hold 45-60 minute one-to-one tutoring sessions
- Hold weekly drop-in office hours (4-8 hours per week)
- Maintain a consistent weekly schedule for tutoring
- Be supportive, collaborative, approachable, and accountable
- Act as the liaison with Office of the Dean staff about student needs
- Track session hours
- Other duties as assigned
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Master’s or doctoral student
- Graduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of five credits, or two credits for Ph.D. candidates working on their dissertation
- Strong grades in tutoring application area
- Preference given to SPH students
- Excellent communication skills
- Dependable and reliable
- Ability to work independently in one-on-one and group instructional settings
- Experience as a tutor, mentor, teacher, or coach preferred
- Students who have or are seeking another position or training grant position are required to confirm with their supervisor(s) that there are no restrictions around being appointed in both positions.
Compensation: Hourly tutor positions are appointed from date of hire through the end of the quarter. The pay rate is $25.50 per hour. The estimated weekly hours are 10-15 but may vary based on workload and will be paid according to hours reported on a timesheet. Hourly positions do not qualify for tuition or insurance benefits. While employed as a tutor by the University of Washington, you may not accept payment directly from students in exchange for these tutoring services.
Application Procedure: Please submit application, CV or resume, cover letter, and transcript (unofficial copy is fine), via the Google Form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
**Note that you must be signed into a Google account (UW or preferred Gmail account) in order to submit this application** If you’re having problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org