Malawi Country Director
VillageReach invites applications for the Malawi Country Director. VillageReach is a nonprofit social enterprise working to save lives and improve health by increasing access to quality healthcare for the most underserved communities. VillageReach develops, tests and implements innovations that uniquely address key barriers at the lower levels or "last mile" of healthcare delivery in low-resource communities.
Job Description Based in Lilongwe, the Malawi Country Director is responsible for the overall programmatic and administrative aspects of the organization in Malawi. The position serves as the primary representative of Malawi operations to the government, in-country partners, and to VillageReach's Seattle, USA headquarters. The position reports to the Group Lead, Health Systems Group based in Seattle, and manages 30+ staff in Malawi. The successful candidate will be a person motivated by mission, a highly dynamic and innovative environment, and the understanding that his or her contribution is critical to the success of VillageReach.
The Malawi Country Director will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Oversee the implementation of VillageReach's programs in Malawi including the creation and monitoring of work plans, budgets, and evaluations;
- Coordinate VillageReach's activities in Malawi with and provide regular reporting to government partners, other NGOs, donors, and the organization's headquarters;
- Monitor program implementation and refine program strategies and plans accordingly;
- Maintain regular and substantive communication with headquarters staff, acting as a liaison between the Malawi office and the Seattle office;
- Contribute both strategically and tactically to analysis of program opportunities;
- Ensure Malawi program design and execution are aligned with the organization's global strategy;
- Represent VillageReach in technical working groups, committees, government forums, and conferences;
- Stay informed on local and international initiatives that support VillageReach objectives;
- Ensure strong relationships between VillageReach, our government partners, and our global and NGO partners in Malawi; and
- Manage relationships with donors and develop new business opportunities for the Malawi programs.
- Oversee administrative operations of the organization in Malawi, ensuring compliance with all local laws, donor policies, and organizational procedures and policies;
- Manage and create professional development plans for VillageReach staff in the two offices where the organization is operating;
- Define and fill staffing needs and maintain an office environment that encourages learning and growth; and
- Maintain financial controls for the organization in the country
Qualifications & Characteristics
The ideal candidate will have the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- Commitment to the mission. Passion for the mission of VillageReach, including strong commitment to global health, and a belief in the role of private sector solutions to augment public health systems.
- Strong management skills. Experience and skills establishing and managing collaborative office environment that enables learning and growing while also adhering to policies and procedures. Capable of encouraging and empowering staff to work independently, yet with sufficient controls.
- Significant global health experience. Experience in global health and/or development program design, implementation and evaluation. Experience with supply chain, human resources development, maternal and child health, or mHealth programs in low-income countries. Experience working with rural health facilities and in medical logistics.
- Strong project management and program implementation skills, with experience in low-income countries. Strong project management skills, experience with building and managing budgets, allocating human resources, and forecasting work plans. Experience building and managing international teams. Proven track record of ability to independently execute complicated projects with multiple stakeholders. Experience working internationally in low-income countries with a variety of stakeholders, including experience working with Ministries of Health. Experience in Malawi strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of sound administrative systems. Experience managing and implementing financial policies and procedures, human resource management, and operational planning.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Strong communication and cross-cultural management skills for working with local and international staff. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within VillageReach and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with others in the organization.
- Writing and analytical skills. Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze all necessary information for decision-making and presentations. Strong data analysis and research skills.
- Personal qualities. Energy, intelligence, diplomacy, sound practical judgment and the ability to work independently without supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional relationships with government partners, donors, and peer organizations and VillageReach staff in local and overseas offices;
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs;
- Strong oral and presentation-level communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in a small team and geographically dispersed team; and
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.
- An MPH, MPA or equivalent degree preferred and at least ten (10) years of direct program experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience is required.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with Malawi Country Director in the subject line. References will be requested from selected candidates. VillageReach is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 1st, 2014. No phone calls please.