Welcome new and returning students, here is the latest information about SPH Orientation 2019 and activities!
Overview of the SPH; details of academic expectations; general expectations; staff / faculty introductions
- Friday, September 20, 9am – 12pm
- Location: Kane Hall 210
Epidemiology/Biostatistics (Epi/Biostat) Preparatory Workshop: Offered to all incoming SPH students in these courses. It is an opportunity to ensure your preparedness in these subjects prior to the beginning of classes. A pre-test is available and encouraged for you to take prior to the start of the workshop. Take the pre-test
Epi/Biostat Workshop Series - Location: Health Sciences Building – T 639
- Friday, September 20, 1pm-3:50pm
- Monday, September 23, 2pm-4:50pm
- Tuesday, September 24, 1pm-3:50pm
SPH Fall 2019 All Student Picnic
We are beginning to plan a larger, more inclusive, SPH Fall All Student Picnic as part of our orientation activities for Fall 2019.
More details to come!
Each year, the Health Sciences Service Learning & Advocacy Committee selects a book that allows students from across the UW health sciences schools to explore topics of common importance. This year’s Common Book – “So you want to talk about race” is a New York Times bestseller by Seattle author Ijeoma Oluo. Here are some of the topics Oluo tackles:
- How can I talk about affirmative action?
- What are microagressions?
- Why am I always being told to “check my privilege”?
- Why are our students so angry?
- What is the model minority myth?
- I’ve just been called racist, what do I do now?
Read the book and come to the SPH orientation to learn more!