Offered through the Online Executive MPH program, the Graduate Certificate in Public Health Practice introduces students to the core disciplines of public health practice over two quarters.
This 18-credit certificate is delivered in a blended format, combining the convenience of online learning with the benefits of face-to-face classroom interaction. You’ll take your courses mostly online, supplemented by two multi-day sessions in downtown Seattle — one in September/October and one in January.
Single-course enrollment is also available.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health Practice is designed for working professionals and grad students enrolled in other UW degree programs who are seeking graduate-level education in public health practice.
For professionals thinking about pursuing the Online Executive MPH degree, enrolling in the certificate is a good way to experience a portion of the program. You enroll as a graduate nonmatriculated student (GNM), and GNM status allows you to apply up to 12 credits toward the 63-credit Online Executive MPH if you later apply to the degree and are accepted.
Application Deadline: April 30
The Graduate Certificate in PHP certificate is designed to enable students to be introduced to core disciplines of public health practice within two quarters of study.
- Apply epidemiologic concepts and methods to public health problems
- Apply biostatistical methods to analyze public health data
- Analyze cost, access and challenges to the delivery of health care services
- Develop health interventions within a specific health jurisdiction
- Apply community-based participatory health promotion and health communication models of behavior change to improve individual and population health and reduce inequalities